Monday, June 23, 2008

Butterflies Crex Meadows

Last year around this time I was having a bit of a problem with the blog. I had posted all of the stuff from my Yellowstone trip, it was not as productive a trip as it was this year, and the spring migration was long over. I was going out shooting 4 to 5 times a week but there was not much variety and even I was getting sick of posting more and more goldfinch pics. That was when I decided to branch out a bit and I began to photograph butterflies and dragonflies to go along with the birds and other wildlife. This year the butterfly and dragonfly season started off a bit slow, mostly because of the late winter, but I have finally been able to start getting some descent bug pics. On June 1st we did find a few butterflies at Crex Meadows while we were out birding.
The clouded, or common, sulfur is a pretty common butterfly through out North America
The monarch butterfly is probably one of the most recognizable butterflies in North America.
This olympia marbled was a type that I had not seen or photographed before. When I first saw it I thought that it was a cabbage butterfly. When it's wings are open it is mostly plain white with a small black dot, very much what a cabbage butterfly looks like, but when I went to photograph it I noticed the gold almost glittery lines that ran across the outside wings. This was a pretty cool butterfly and a butterfly lifer for me.

2 comments:

Leedra said...

Great butterfly photos. I also have never seen an Olympia Marbled. I love to take photos of butterflies, sometimes I think more than birds.

Ecobirder said...

I know how you feel Leedra. There are times when I am so busy chasing butterflies that I forget about the birds.