Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Eastern Towhee


Eastern Towhee
The eastern towhee is a passerine found in the eastern half of North America. They nest from the Mississippi River to the Atlantic Coast and as far north as southern portions of Canada. Birds in the northern portion of the range migrate to the southern United States for the winter while birds in the southern portion of the range stay on territory year round.
Eastern Towhee
At one time the spotted towhee, from the western United States, and the eastern towhee were considered the same species and were called the rufous-sided towhee. It was decided that there were enough differences between the two to break them into two different species. There ranges do still over lap in central North America and the species will still interbreed with each other. This is the female eastern Towhee.

10 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

I imagine it's a LOUD bird!
ROG, ABCW

Breathtaking said...

I can see they are similar birds Lovely captures of birds I never see in the wild. Thanks for sharing your pictures and info!

Susan said...

I've captured a few images of a juvenile Eastern Towhee, but haven't seen a parent yet. Great photos of this bird!

A Colorful World said...

Wow, there really are a lot of differences in the two kinds of towhees and I am surprised they were once considered the same species! Nice photos.

Shady Gardener said...

Only once-in-awhile am I fortunate to see an Eastern Towhee! Great photos! :-)

Ecobirder said...

It appears that my post this week was a little confusing. Both birds in this post are eastern towhee. The top photo is a male and the bottom is a female. If you are curious as to what the spotted towhee looks like you can check it out at this post http://ecobirder.blogspot.com/search/label/spotted%20towhee
Sorry for the confusion.

ChrisJ said...

I would love to see this bird. Our western towhee is so dowdy in comparison, but still I'm quite fond of them. Often they scratch like chickens and seem to be quite like ground birds. In addition ours seemed to be quite attached to their mate. I loved their quite musical "pink, pink". We had a couple of pairs in our the yard at our last house. Here, in a different habitat, though only a mile away from the other, I haven't seen any yet.

BumbleVee said...

I've never seen one...but, I guess they could to my area of Canada...must look it up and check that out....

Carver said...

I love these shots of the beautiful enchanting towhee. Carver, ABCW-Team

Louisette said...

Gorgeous capture, greeting from Belgium


http://louisette.eklablog.com/mes-autres-blogs-p842116