Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Golden-fronted Woodpecker

Golden-fronted Woodpecker
The golden-fronted woodpecker is one of the most colorful woodpeckers found in North America. Their range extends from southern Oklahoma, through Texas and eastern Mexico and down into Central America. There are four different subspecies that vary slightly in color that were once considered different species. They are closely related to the more common red-bellied woodpecker and where their ranges cross the golden-fronted will aggressively defend their territory against the red-bellies. 
Golden-fronted Woodpecker
Golden-fronted woodpeckers are found in open to semi-open woodlands. In the U.S. this includes mesquite brush land, orchards, groves, along rivers, and second growth forests. They are omnivores with a diet consisting partially of insects (grasshoppers, ants,beetles and other insects) and the rest of fruits, seeds and nuts. This female was eating some of the fruit from a prickly pair cactus. These shots were taken earlier this year down in Texas' Rio Grande Valley.  


10 comments:

MelodyK said...

What a wonderful bird (again).... I am so glad that you are part of this meme, every week teaching me a new bird... Most of them I have to look up the discover how they are called in my native language, I love it.



Have a nice ABC-day / - week
♫ M e l ☺ d y ♫ (ABC-team)
http://melodymusic.nl/abc-wednesday19-g/

Trubes said...

Beautiful bird, i enjoy reading all about you birds.
Thanks for sharing them with us.

Best wishes,
Di.
ABCW team.

Lea said...

Great photos of a beautiful bird!
We have the Red-Bellied Woodpeckers here in Mississippi
Have a wonderful day!

Kate said...

The information makes the image of the bird more meaningful. Thanks!

Breathtaking said...

Hello!:) Gorgeous images of this lovely Woodpecker. Thank you for sharing.

fredamans said...

Neat looking bird, so much different than the Downy woodpecker we have in my region.

Connie Smiley said...

Wonderful photos of this beautiful bird!

Judy Biggerstaff said...

I don't get him in my area. But I do get the red-bellied woodpecker. First time I have seen this one. Thanks for sharing, great pics.

Shady Gardener said...

What great photos! Being from Iowa, our woodpeckers include the red bellied, the red headed, the downy, the hairy, and the northern flicker. That's a good mouthful, don't you think? I am best at watching birds at my feeder, but I really appreciate seeing and hearing and LEARNING about them! Thanks!! SG

Roger Owen Green said...

Sister Goldenhair (or feathers...)

ROG, ABCW