Friday, March 12, 2010

Acorn Woodpecker

One of the birds that I was the most excited about photographing when we visited California, back in 2007, was the acorn woodpecker. Acorn woodpeckers can be found in parts of California, New Mexico, Arizona, Mexico and Central America. They got their name because of their tendency to collect and store large numbers of acorns. The acorns are stored in holes that the woodpeckers bore, usually in a single specific tree which is called a granary tree. This bird was in the process of caching food at a granary tree when I photographed it. Acorn woodpeckers do eat other things besides acorns including bugs and fruit.

10 comments:

KaHolly said...

He's a beaut! You were able to get a nice, clear shot of him. With that eye of his, he doesn't look real. ~karen

Oman said...

thatis one lovely critter. awesome shot.

eileeninmd said...

Great shot and sighting. The Acorn Woodie is a neat looking bird. I love their eyes.

Dan Huber said...

great photo, i have read on them, hope to see one sometime

dan

Anna said...

Very interesting. I love the red on his head.

Kate said...

Well, fellow-Minnesotan, we have a love affair with birds, I see. Come visit my blog today, and I think you'll like what you see!

Your photo is terrific! Have you ever seen Abraham Lincoln's bird blog; I think you'd like that very much!

Kcalpesh said...

A very beautiful shot!!

Pixellicious Photos

Quilt Works said...

I love his red "hat" :-) Good looking woodpecker!


...beautiful

Frostbite and Sunburn said...

Well, he's a striking looking fella - great shot.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Looks a bit like a sapsucker...........great shot as always, the water lily is beautiful!