Friday, March 5, 2010

White-tailed Kite

We do not typically see very many members of the kite family here in Minnesota except for the northern harrier or an occasional migrant. That is why I was very excited to have the opportunity to photograph white-tailed kites at the Elk Horn Slough in California Monterey area back in 2007.
The white-tailed kite is typically found in open areas such as fields, marshes or savannas. Their range includes the west and gulf coast areas in the US as well as Mexico, Central America and parts of eastern South America. The prey that they eat and the way that they hunt is similar to the smaller American kestrel. Their prey includes rodents, small birds, reptiles and amphibians which it catches by ambushing them from flight.

6 comments:

KaHolly said...

What a beautiful bird! No wonder you were excited at the opportunity to photograph it. I remember kites soaring the skies years ago when I lived in TX, but I wasn't a birder then. Still, I can remember how impressive they were on the wing. Thanks for the up close and personal view! ~karen

sweetbay said...

The kites are amazing -- so graceful and those eyes!!

eden said...

Such beautiful birds. My first time to see those birds. Great captures

Oskar said...

That bird is stunning!

Gemma Wiseman said...

Beautiful looking white bird! Its face reminds me a little of (I think it is called) snow owl!

eileeninmd said...

It is a beautiful bird, great sighting!