Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Beach Blanket Bull Snake.

Sometimes you can find a big surprise in the water. Minnesota is not known as a place where you find large snakes but while out shooting in William O'brien State Park I found this approximately 8' bull snake crossing the river. The scary thing was that I was right on the other side of the parking lot for the Lake Alice beach. Imagine swimming at the beach and running into one of these crossing the water. While bull snakes are considered to be bad tempered they are not poisonous and would most likely try some posturing and then try to escape when confronting a large predator like a human.

11 comments:

Barbara (Xerraire) said...

What a sleek photo of the snake with the lines of the water leading up to your subject!

Barb

Tink *~*~* said...

Yikes! There's a black racer that likes to frequent my garage. I threatened to run it over with my car and it ran away but I am suspicious....

Tink *~*~*

Martha Z said...

It would probably be a bit disconcerting to share the water with him.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Wonderful shot. It looks as if you took this as you were just emerging from the water.

Jim said...

Freaky but beautiful.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

JO said...

oh my!


~ Jo's Precious Thoughts ~

Frostbite and Sunburn said...

That's a stunning photo of the wee beast! That would freak me out, and no mistake. Snakes are my one big fear - just looking at that photo turns my spine to water!

Nicolette said...

Wow... big snake heading for a swim... Really not sure I would want to meet it while swimming. Cool photo...

gengen said...

That is big and long snake...Happy watery Wednesday...

Anonymous said...

I think the bull snake might actually be a fox snake, a close relative of the bull snake. regardless, nice pic

Anonymous said...

Its not a fox snake it is a bull snake. I own one as a pet. I got mine as a captive bred hatchling about a year ago. I think all of the pituophis snakes (pine, gopher, bull) are the most under rated snakes for pets. They have by far the biggest personality of any snake. Great photo