Wednesday, April 24, 2013

First warbler of the year.

Yellow-rumped Warbler
 While I was out photographing the fresh snow yesterday I caught a glimpse of my first warbler of 2013. The yellow-rumped warbler is typically the first warbler that we see in the spring and the last we see in the fall. The reason for this is because most warblers are insect eaters so during the winter they migrate south to where they can find food. Yellow-rumps do not migrate as far south because they can eat several different types of berries that other warbler species cannot digest. This allows them to survive further north during the winter. It also lets them arrive earlier then other warblers and leave later in the fall. Unfortunately I did not have my birding lens with me so I did not get a picture, this is one from a couple years ago, but i am hoping to get out and spot some warblers this weekend as our temps are supposed to finally get up into the 70s.


3 comments:

CabinGirl said...

It's so exciting to have warblers back in Minnesota! Maybe spring really is coming...

ChrisJ said...

We have quite few of these in our new community.

Rambling Woods said...

I need to learn my warblers as I am sure they are some stopping over here.. lovely little bird...Michelle