Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Watery Wednesday: Snow Bank

Here in Minnesota we are used to getting snow, we frequently spend about half of the year digging out from the stuff, but I always find it interesting to see the type of snow fall that they get up at higher elevations. Last year, 2008, when we visited Yellowstone had a lot of snow still on the ground. I remember driving through Hayden Valley and the snow banks on the side of the road were taller then the big RVs that were driving through.
This year things were closer to what we normally see. There was a little snow in parts of the Hayden Valley but no huge drifts. However we did find a good sized drift just south of the Golden Gate of Yellowstone. If you look carefully at the picture you can see a person standing on the bank in the back of the picture. This should give you a reference to how tall that this bank still was. Over the past 48 years Yellowstone averaged about 72 inches of snow annually, according to the Western Regional Climate Center.

10 comments:

Marju said...

Beautiful image!

Janie said...

That's a lot of snow for Hayden Valley if your visit was in July or August! I love the rolling hills in that area.

Jim said...

Interesting. Good shot.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

mick said...

That's a lot of snow! Brrr! I live in the sub-tropics!

Anonymous said...

I am happy some people like snow and snow falls. I like to watch it now that I am old and don't have to be out in it. I hate it though when I have to go to the doctor in the winter and worry about going all night hoping there is no ice on the roads the next morning.

I enjoyed your post and picture. Brings back some memories.

Arija said...

Beautiful snow shot and lovely sky reflection in the water.

Regina said...

Nice shot!

Dagrun said...

He seems tiny indeed. Nice watery shot!

Unknown said...

Wow. That is quite a spectacular sight.

Dimple said...

That's impressive! I don't really like to think about snow in August; but it's still impressive, as long as it's not in my driveway! :0)