Sunday, May 9, 2010

Emerald Dragonfly in Flight

After a week of clouds, cold, rain and gloom things finally cleared up and today was a gorgeous day. So even though it was mothers day I still made sure that I got to spend some time outside. So early this morning I headed over to the Old Cedar Avenue Bridge area to do some early morning birding.
The air around the ponds was alive with swallows, mostly tree and barn, twisting, darting and diving in the air in search of their mothers day feast. I tried to get some pictures in flight but unfortunately I was not quick enough to follow their erratic path. Is it even possible to photograph swallows in flight? Well last year I managed to click off these three pics of a dragonfly in flight, and they are even more maneuverable. Which makes them even more elusive.
I believe that this is an emerald dragonfly. They are often found patrolling the edge of bodies of water either hunting or looking for receptive females. I photographed this dragon on the shore of the St Croix River in Wild River State Park.

14 comments:

sweetbay said...

Beautiful captures. Love the green eye.

Christina. Sweden said...

Dragonflies are wonderful but yet ait alien lookalike. The thin wings and the whole insect glowing in the sun. Great photos!

Anonymous said...

Nice shots. That looks like a male Prince Baskettail -- American Emeralds don't have the dark patches on the wings.

Jama said...

So lovely! the eyes look like a piece of jade.

Don't Bug Me! said...

Amazing photos - I have struggled to get a shot when they are sitting on vegetation. I can't imagine capturing one in flight.

Kala said...

Nice captures of one of my favorite insects.

Colleen said...

Wow... I'm totally impressed and amazed by these captures in flight. That takes some serious talent.
Amazing shots.

Jayne said...

Capturing good shots of a dragonfly in flight is no mean feat. Nice ones. :)

Vicki said...

thses are great shots. The wings look terrific.

Hootin Anni said...

How in heaven's name did you get the dragonfly to fly for you on 'cue'?!!! Amazing.

My Macro is HERE. I do hope you can find time to stop for a visit with me today!

Jay said...

You take the most stunning pictures of dragonflies!

Levinson Axelrod said...

Amazing shots. Enjoyed the detail.

kirstallcreatures said...

Great pics of the dragonfly in flight. I saw my first damselfly this weekend in the North of England. I only managed a photo of it at rest but was delighted with the sighting.

michael mckee said...

Wonderful captures. Didn't know that dragonflies had transparent bodies.