Saturday, July 28, 2007

Bridge disaster

Last night Michelle ran out to get some food and when she returned the first thing she did was grab the remote and change the channel on the TV. At first I was confused but when I saw the news I was shocked. With in a few minutes my parents called to make sure everyone was OK. The good news is that there does not appear to be anyone that I know who was on the bridge when it collapsed which is lucky since I do not work too far from the bridge. A coworker, who sits right next to me, had gone across the bridge on his way home from work about an hour before it fell.



This morning we went to try and get some pictures. As you can imagine there were a lot of people trying to get a look and a lot of news groups here covering the story. The area was pretty closed off by the police but here are the shots that I got.

The center section of the bridge is down in the river.

You can see the crack in the bridge deck.

Here is a shot of the construction that they where doing to replace the bridge deck.

I don't want to get too high up on the soapbox but this is what happens when our government leaders, a republican administration and a republican governor, care more about fighting wars for oil and giving tax cuts to the rich or keeping pledges, made to rich special interests, not to raise taxes. People died because of their negligence.

No comments: