Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Yellowstone Lake

Even though it was already mid to late May when we visited Yellowstone National Park, Yellowstone Lake was still mostly frozen over. There was open water along most of the shoreline but the middle still had a ways to go to thaw out. Last year when we visited in May even less had thawed.
However the waters at the shore near the West Thumb Geyser Basin are often open even during the winter. Hot water that pours from the geysers and pools mixes with the water of the lake and keeps it from freezing up. It is even possible to see river otters swimming in the open waters during the winter.

9 comments:

mick said...

Beautiful photos -but Oh, it looks cold!

Unknown said...

We are thinking about taking a road trip in May next year to Yellowstone. Perhaps we should bring winter apparel...

Arija said...

Beautiful shots both, but the first icy one is a treat for me. Our winters are wet and bonechillingly cold but never that crisp dry cold.

Christina, Sweden said...

Great cold Sceneries. would not mind a visit there myself (but not now, I want summer to stay a bit:-))

Kim said...

So pretty. That is the one place I have to go to in my lifetime. Seeing your picturs makes me yearn for it more.

Unknown said...

Very cool shots !!!

Okay ... so I've never been to Yellowstone and I wasn't born in the US, but I never knew that there was a lake or a river at Yellowstone...

I really need to go and see it before I leave !!

RH said...

I like those mountains! Ice on the water is well-known here, but we don't have mountains... very nice pictures!

Beth F said...

Super! I haven't been to Yellowstone in years.

srp said...

Beautiful water.. I would love to see here in the summer and in the winter. Great shot.