Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Wood Duck

Wood ducks, or woodies as I like to call them, are one of the more interesting ducks that we see around here for most of the warmer month. The males are very colorful during breeding season, unfortunately this photo was taken in early fall when the males plumage is much less colorful. Unlike many other ducks the wood duck is a cavity nester, nesting in tree cavities or nesting box. I have always found it an unusual sight to see wood ducks perched on their webbed feet up in a tree.

7 comments:

KaHolly said...

Without a doubt, one of my favorites! They don't stick around too long when they see a camera pointed at them!! This is a wonderful image. ~karen

Maboe said...

Beautiful ducks!

Randi said...

Wow...beautiful ducks! The eyes are very special. I have never seen this duck before.

2sweetnsaxy said...

How cute! :-)

Judy said...

Hey! I am learning something! I said those are wood ducks, before I read the words! I would love to see them perching in the trees! Especially if you could get close enough to focus on their feet...

Arija said...

They are a very perky looking pair with nice reflections too.

Cecilia Artista said...

Nice woodies with big eyes!