Monday, August 20, 2007

Eagle rescue update.

The other day I recieved a message from the raptor center about the immature bald eagle that my wife and I rescued at Crex Meadows on August 12th. According to the message the bird is doing well. He had a fractured humorous, which is not very funny. They operated on the 14th and everything went well. The eagle is now recuperating.

I intend to contact the raptor center again to see if I can get more details on their prognosis of whether or not he will be able to released back into the wild. If so, I am going to see if there is any chance that I can be the one to release him. I am currently on their list to release a bird and have been called about 5 times already this year. Unfortunately the timing or location have not worked out, but this bird is special to me and I would do whatever is necessary if I get the opportunity to release it.

I also received an e-mail earlier today from John Mikes who runs the blog Weekend Shooter. John also does a lot of shooting out at Crex Meadows and happened to be out there shooting the day before we rescued the eagle. He sent me this photo that he shot on the 11th.

This likely is the immature that we rescued on the 12th being attacked by an adult of the 11th. This was probably the cause of his injury. Thanks John, it is nice to find out what happened before we got there. If you like great birding photography I recommend John's site http://weekendshoot.blogspot.com/.

No comments: