Saturday, December 29, 2012

Brown Creeper

Brown Creeper
 I am a little late posting today because I did not have a chance to get a post done before I headed out to participate in my first Christmas Bird Count of the weekend. I spent my day driving around the back streets of Hastings, MN and the dirt roads of the farm country around Hastings. My group, Dan and I, counted 29 different species. If you are lucky enough to be a part of a Christmas Bird Count in Florida that would probably sound like a bad day but here in Minnesota in the winter that is a respectable number. We finished our count by hiking the trails at Spring Lake Park. The park provided us with 3 new species. There was a bald eagle along the river, brown creepers, like the one above, in the woods and a northern shrike patrolling up near the parking lot when we got back to the car. It was a long day, with another bird count tomorrow, but it was fun to get outside, get some cold fresh air, and scope out some birds.  



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our annual bird count was on Thursday, the same day a big storm hit our area, so the count was cancelled. Sounds like you had a great day.

genie said...

What a wonderful way to spend a day. I know you had a fabulous time. Our best friend and several other pals take part in the yearly bird count each year. Buddy and I will tag along, but would never be able to participate because we are just beginners as you know. Your brown creeper is impressive. Love the beak. How he manages to hand there like he does amazes me. Birds are just the most wonderful to watch. Lovely shot as always. genie

Anni said...

Sounds like a super day to me!!! Love your image this week. So sweet a bird.

Thanks for lending and sharing your link this week at the Bird D'Pot!! And, have a happy New Year!

Pia said...

That was a good way to spend the day! What a cute little bird the Brown Creeper is.