Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Coyote Pups

Coyote Pups
 Back in 2007 and we made one of our numerous trips out to Yellowstone. That year the weather was not very cooperative so we did not have as many good photo opportunities as we usually do when we go to Yellowstone. The bright spot of the trip was the coyote den that we found, along with numerous other photographers, out on Blacktail Plateau. Mating season for coyotes is from January to March. The female goes in heat for less then a week so timing is very important. The gestation period is about 2 month. The pups are born blind and helpless. They will remain this way for about 10 days. They will remain in the den for about 3 to 4 weeks.These pups have emerged and have probably been weened and are eating meat. The coyote pictures that I took that year have been the most popular pictures on my blog with nearly 40,000 hits. If you would like to see the rest of the series click on the link below.


8 comments:

Travel-PB said...

Great stuff! Really cute little things and I can easily see why they are so popular.

I do however prefer your bird photos. Some are really great - I especially love those birds of prey.

Keep up the good work and keep blogging about it!

DeniseinVA said...

Fantastic and what an amazing discovery that must have been.

Lea said...

Great photo!
Have a wonderful day!
Lea
Lea's Menagerie

Sherry said...

Wonderful capture -- they are so cute!!

Anonymous said...

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this,
like you wrote the book in it or something. I
think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than
that, this is excellent blog. A fantastic read.
I'll certainly be back.

Feel free to visit my blog post - afr

AmitAag said...

Amazing puppies!
Great photo:)
http://amitaag.blogspot.in/2013/02/call-beach-by-any-other-name.html

Rambling Woods said...

Really cute..In my true geeky fashion I just watched 'The Nature of Things" which was about the coywolf ..how they came about and about them and coyotes in urban settings like Toronto. Very interesting. I have seen what I think are coyote here, but I guess could be coywolf.. now how do I work that into everyday conversation.. Thanks for linking in Jeff...Michelle

Misty DawnS said...

Oh how fantastic!!! I would love to experience a scene like this!