Sunday, July 21, 2013

Teneral Dragonfly

I went out to Crex Meadows yesterday hoping to get some video of butterflies for an upcoming program I am doing. While I out checking the butterfly weed I found this teneral dragonfly perched on the flower. Dragonflies are predators, they do not eat nectar or pollen like butterflies, however when they first emerge from their larval stage they are vulnerable and usually find an out of the way place to perch while their wings firm. I would guess that this is some kind of meadowhawk but teneral dragonflies are often hard to identify because they usually have not developed their field markings yet. With its orangish coloration the butterfly weed was a good place to perch because it blended in nicely. 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous!

Annette P.-L. said...

Fanstatic photo! Great job!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI Paul Great shot and well camouphaged. Margaret

Susie Clevenger said...

Beautiful shot...

Amazing wonders in my life said...

Excellent one!

lorik said...

The combination of the dragon fly and colourful flowers makes a very pretty, decorative image. I like it a lot. Thank you for sharing it on Mandarin Orange Monday:)