Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ferruginous Hawk

Ferruginous Hawk
 The ferruginous hawk is a large hawk that is found primarily in the open central grasslands of western North America. The name ferruginous probably comes from the Latin word ferrgin which means iron rust, and has to do with the reddish brown coloration of these hawks. They are members of the genus Buteo which are the hawks that are designed for soaring, with long wings and shorter tail.
Ferruginous Hawk
The ferruginous hawks is the largest hawk in North America. They live in arid and semi arid grasslands. Their primary source of food are mammals, at 80-90%. Typical prey includes mice, ground squirrels, prairie dogs and jackrabbits. They will also eat snakes, lizards, and birds. They nest from southern Canada in the north to New Mexico and Arizona in the south and from Washington and Oregon in the west to the Dakotas and Nebraska in the east. During the winter birds in the northern portions of the breeding range head down into the southwestern United States and Mexico. Although they spend most of their time in warmer climates they are one of only 2 species of hawks in North America with feathers that extend down to their feet. The other species is the rough-legged hawk which is a species found mostly in the north.


13 comments:

Carver said...

Fascinating information and fantastic shots of the hawk. Carver, ABC Wed. Team

Mary Howell Cromer said...

What a stunning bird, great images!!!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I'm glad you said that about their "leggings" because that's how I was taught to ID this hawk...which we have seen here in Oregon (but never photographed...thanks for this!)

Richard Lawry said...

I would love to see one, as They are missing from my life list.
An Arkie's Musings

Roger Owen Green said...

Does look like a rusty bird!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Maude Lynn said...

Fantastic shots!

Faye said...

Aptly named for such a beautifully marked bird. I've only been fortunate enough to get photos of two sharp-shinned hawks since becoming interested in birding.

Sonja said...

An interesting post for an overseas reader,

Irma said...

First photo I love.
Good sharp and many details, compliments

Greetings Irma

Neil said...

Beautiful bird.

Reader Wil said...

Birds are so interesting: they can see the world from a great height. Some months ago I saw a documentary on TV about what a bird sees during its flight. It was impressive.
Have a great day.
Wil, ABCW Team.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

This hawk doesn't live where I live and I have never been privileged to see one in my few travels ... I hope to someday as I am a raptor lover and can't get enough of them. I have seen the leg feathers on a Rough-legged hawk that was migrating through our area ... they too are impressive birds. Thank you for all of this good information.

Andrea @ From The Sol

Black Jack's Carol said...

A new hawk for me. Fascinating. I am in the middle of preparing an "f" post and just learned the word "falconine" today. My spellcheck objects, but a list of unusual words beginning with "f" gave its meaning as, "of, like or pertaining to falcons or hawks." My most recent post has a hawk I haven't identified yet. No pressure, but if you have the time, maybe you can help.