Thursday, August 21, 2008

Old Cedar Bridge Barn Swallows

At the end of the boardwalk, near the viewing platform, at Old Cedar I found that the immature barn swallows were still around. The last time that I had visited there had been one down at the base of some of the marsh weeds where a tiny little island had formed for it to stand on.
This time I found that there was one on the edge of the boardwalk
and another perched down on a broken plant waiting for a food delivery, not sure if Dominoes delivers to the marsh.
The one on the boardwalk decided that the broken plant would be a better to perch, if it wanted to eat. The one who was already there seemed less then enthused about having company.
The new bird on the block was not sure what was up with the first one, except that it had a big mouth.
When he found out that having a big mouth meant getting food then it was time for monkey see monkey do, or in this case swallow see swallow do. Must be careful this is a family safe blog.
"My turn, my turn".
"Hey I was here first".
"Pig"!
Wow a whole new meaning for mouth to mouth. Sorry not very educational but hopefully it was entertaining.
I have also been playing with putting this into a slideshow. I think that I have it all worked out now.


4 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Hokey smokes! Those are some BIG mouths!

This was a clever, fun post.

Shelley said...

Very entertaining - the commentary was spot on - and I just loved seeing those wide mouths!!

Leedra said...

3rd from the last looks like she is protecting her young from you. Great photos, the mouths are amazing.

Ecobirder said...

I am glad that you all liked the post. I was trying to do it as a slide show from the beginning but did not find a way that I liked until after I did the post.