Sunday, July 5, 2009

Four Spotted Skimmer

Over the past few years I have really taken an interest in photographing other parts of nature, besides just birds. It began during the middle of summer back in 2007, I was photographing plenty of birds but there was not a lot of variety in what I was seeing. That is when I began to notice other forms of wildlife, particularly butterflies and dragonflies.Last summer I began to take photographing dragons a little more seriously. I purchased my first dragon field guide, Dragonflies of the Northwoods by Kurt Mead, I went to a workshop on photographing dragons, at the Maplewood Nature Center, and I began to look for places where I could find dragons to photograph. This year, many of the trips that I have been making around Minnesota lately have been in search of specific types of dragons. I am hoping that with in a few years I will have photographed every type of dragonfly found in Minnesota.
My plan is to post pictures of each of the different type, as well as birds, butterflies, and other creatures when I build my website. Until that time I will continue to post pics here on the blog for your enjoyment. I took these pics of four-spotted skimmer last July at the Maplewood Nature Center.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice four spotted skimmer.

Interesting about your website. I used to build them and had several but never could get the interaction I can get from blogs.

Chris said...

Hi,
It is indeed nice not to take pictures of birds only, but you might then live in a country where other animals live... Here it is the only "easy" wildlife you can see, except some syrphus and rabbit!! So pretty hard to diversify!
Your macro are as wonderful as your bird pictures!!

Holly said...

I love dragonflies but know nearly nothing about them.

SandyCarlson said...

Your photos are delightful. Just wonderful.

Dawn Fine said...

Great photos!
I too love dragonflies but dont know much about them.I think I will eventually buy a book as well
....I have just started to take Macro shots..Didnt know there was a Macro monday..will need to post there occasionally..

June said...

That's quite a goal! I have enough trouble IDing birds....dragons are even more challenging!

Gemma Wiseman said...

The wing detail featured in these photos is absolutely fascinating! Beautiful photos!

Tammie Lee said...

Each one is gorgeous.

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

Beautiful captures! Dragons are so unique and I love them through the lens. I have only had the pleasure of a few shots, but they were great! Have fun hunting them all down.

Anonymous said...

That's great! I can never catch bugs, it's probably my rinky camera or operater error no doubt :) Hehe!
Jessie at Blog Schmog

Eve said...

Those are beautiful!

Jenn Jilks said...

I continue to bow from My Muskoka . Your shots are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

nature has created other creatures along with birds and human beings.

justice

outsources BPO & call centre solution