Saturday, July 25, 2009

Today's Flowers: Bittersweet Nightshade

Bittersweet nightshade is an evasive species here in North America. Originally found in Europe and Asia this semi-woody perennial vine is in the genus potato. This plant produces a berry which is poisonous to people and many animals, although the poison is not very strong and usually only ends up causing nausea in humans. Most birds are not effected by the poison and they are the typical means by which bittersweet nightshade seeds are spread. I photographed this plant at the Dodge Nature Center.

9 comments:

Arija said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Arija said...

The nightshade belongs to the genus Solanum, a genus whith over 1,400 species including the potato and egg plant . As far as I know they all have toxic flowers and seeds.

A beautiful photo capturing both bud and flower.

Helen said...

A very pretty flower. I think all the plants of the nightshade family are poisonous to some extent although they are all very pretty. Helen

DeniseinVA said...

A beautiful flower and very interesting post. Thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, we have this plant here on Cape Ann too. The fruit is beautiful when ripe, but I always dislike invasive species.

Leora said...

It is beautiful, but it reminds me of another invasive that I keep pulling from my backyard - similar colors, can't recall the name. Purple and yellow are striking.

i beati said...

wonderful closeup how many other colors are there?I see a blue and a white from time to time..sandy those rolling birds on teh side are glorious

Regina said...

Rare and lovely. Great shot!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

EB: Great information on the plant, I think tomatoes are from the nightshade family and were thought to be poisonous to humans.