Saturday, July 18, 2009

Today's Flowers: Butterfly Weed

Asclepias tuberosa, commonly known as butterfly weed, is a perennial that is native throughout much of eastern North America. This member of the milkweed family is often found in dry or sandy soil and requires full sun.
The common name comes from the fact that the bright color flowers, usually red, orange, or yellow, and abundant production of nectar often attract butterflies. Since it is a member of the milkweed family it is also a host plant for the monarch butterfly caterpillar. I found this monarch on butterfly weed out on the sand prairies of Crex Meadows.

9 comments:

Adirondackcountrygal said...

I'd like to find some of that and transplant it into my yard!

Helen said...

A beautiful flower redgeto compliment a beautiful butterfly. Helen

Anonymous said...

I really like your photos today. The butterfly is most interesting. We have not seen a single butterfly here this summer. Everything they like is blooming too. I think it has something to do with this Global Warming.

Your visit will count and help me Make History. Pick a Peck of Pixels

Reader Wil said...

This beautiful flower attracts probably also a lot of other insects, if it produces so much honey!

Dawn Fine said...

Gorgeous! I always look forward to visiting your blog and looking at your photos!

DeniseinVA said...

Wonderful flowers and butterfly. Thanks for sharing them with Today's Flowers.

Arija said...

Beautiful flower shots, noth of them.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Beautiful milkweed! I wish I had a yard full. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Lin said...

When I found out that the Monarchs need this plant to reproduce, I sought one out in the nursery and planted it in my yard. It's beautiful!