Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cliff Geyser Yellowstone

A geyser is a hot spring that erupts at intermittent intervals. Geysers are caused by ground water that seeps down into the earth until it runs into rock that is superheated by magma, molten rock. The magma heats the water which expands and begins to rise back up towards the surface through fractures and fissures in the earths surface. As the water rises it begins to cool and the cooler water starts to push its way back down while the warmer water is pushing up. This creates immense pressure which is eventually released through an eruption of water and steam. Since geysers require extreme heat they are usually found in areas that are commonly referred to as hot spots. Hot spots are volcanic regions where magma from the earths core rises up through cracks and fissures until it is relatively close to the earth's surface. Because these hot spots are not very common geysers are pretty rare. There are about a thousand known geysers around the world and about half of them can be found in Yellowstone National Park. That is where I took this pic of Cliff Geyser erupting.

5 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

Yellowstone is one of my most favorite places! I was there once for a week--in July. In the beginning of the week it was rather cold, so the geysers were very steamy. ethereal.

Rinkly Rimes said...

Here in Oz we're just watching a TV series about Yellowstone. Absolutely fabulous, but I think I'll avoid the winters!

Chris said...

Hi,
Yellowstone is a place where everybody should go once. I have to do that. We have such a geyser in Iceland, it is called strókur.

Allison said...

Geysers never cease to fascinate me! I couldn't get enough of Yellowstone when I went there!

eileeninmd said...

Yellowstone is my favorite park. Your Geyser photo is wonderful.