Wednesday, May 29, 2013

American Dipper

American Dipper
During our trip to Yellowstone last week I had the opportunity to photograph a few new birds for my life list. One of my new lifers was an American dipper. I had no idea what this bird was when I photographed it. It looked a lot like a plump cowbird but I was pretty sure it was not a cowbird because I found it in the rapids of the Yellowstone River.Fortunately it closed its eyes for a moment and I was able to photograph it with its white eye lid showing, above, which helped me to identify it.
American Dipper
 Dippers live around clean rushing waters. They forage the rocky bottoms of rivers and streams for aquatic insects, larvae, small fish and crustaceans. Many live in cold climates, such as mountains, and do not migrate south during the winter unless the water freezes up. Thick down feathers as well as a low metabolic rate help the dipper to survive the cold. Not the most colorful bird but still exciting because it was a lifer.


7 comments:

LV said...

There are many interesting sights at Yellowstone. I had the pleasure of seeing it once. You captured some very nice bird shots.

Dave said...

I always chuckle when I see a Dipper blinking with the white eyelid, great bird, lovely post

Richard Lawry said...

I love to watch these fascinating birds.
An Arkies Musings

Jen said...

Interesting --- they DO look like fat little cowbirds. :)

MyMaracas said...

Cute little guys. Lucky you, getting to add a new bird to your list.

Jen said...

Nice of him to wink at you like that. Congratulations on the addition to your life list.

Rambling Woods said...

I saw these birds on a nature program.... How great to get to see them in person... Michelle