Monday, May 20, 2013

Butterfly Hunting at Crex Meadows

Olympia Marbled Butterflies Mating
Crex Meadows in west central Wisconsin is a great place to go to find and photograph some unusual early season butterflies. Last year I went on a butterfly excursion with a local butterfly expert. I have been photographing butterflies for years but have concentrated more on my odes then on lepidoptera.
Eastern Pine Elfin
I had photographed butterflies at Crex before. This was primarily in the middle of summer when the fields are full of wild flowers and orange and black fritillaries and monarchs and yellow sulphurs are all over the place.Going out in early may with someone who knows where to look offered me an opportunity to photograph some species that I had not in the past. I had photographed Olympia marbled, first pic, in the past but it was my first time photographing any species of elfin butterfly. We found 3 different species of elfins that day, the most common was the eastern pine elfin which is pictured above, This year the cold weather pushed the dates of the butterfly trip back to the end of May and unfortunately I was not able to attend but I am hoping to get back out there next year.


6 comments:

Fran said...

Such a delicat and unusual butterfly - the white one. It looks like the wings are striped with gold.

Nonnie said...

I thought that the yellow and white was a flower at first. stunningly beautiful shot!

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely butterflies!

Photo Cache said...

I must say I don't think I've seen these types before. I love butterflies.

Randi said...

Awesome captures of these beautiful butterflies!

Dana said...

I've never seen a butterfly like the one in the first photo. Lovely!