Sunday, May 10, 2009

Today's Flowers: Marsh Marigold

Wild flowers are finally beginning to bloom as spring progresses here in Minnesota. The trees have now pretty much all leafed out and the ornamental flowering trees are in bloom.
One of the earliest blooming flowers that I found was this marsh marigold. I found a patch of it growing near the trail in the Old Cedar Avenue Bridge area of the Minnesota Valley NWR. They were growing in a small ravine which is often flooded when it rains. This is good habitat for marsh marigold because it grows well in wet soil.

8 comments:

Gaelyn said...

Such a brilliant sunshiny yellow.

Unknown said...

Great shot. The older I get the more I admire the flowers. It's funny, here in the Everglades they come out in force after fires, not rains. Although the rains shortly will bring there own varieties.

Loran said...

We have those in Utah too and I love their bright yellow color. My husband calls them Meadow Floam. A rose by any other name....

amanda guthrie said...

What a lovely golden wildflower. Great post.

Helen said...

Those are a beautiful color. Good shor! Helen

Arija said...

They are so beautiful. As a barefoot brat I used to wade into swampy places to pick them for my mother.

Regina said...

Good shot of the marigold. It's beautiful.

Happily Retired Gal said...

Such cheery golden blossoms! Thanks for sharing.
Hugs and blessings,