Sunday, December 27, 2009

Saffron-winged Meadowhawk

One of the easier to identify meadowharks that are found in this area is the saffron winged meadowhawk. The easiest way to ID a saffron-winged meadowhawk is to observe the leading edge of each wing. If the edge is a gold, or saffron color then it is a saffron-winged meadowhawk. The males are usually red with the gold edged wings and red wing veins. The females, like the one pictured above, are yellow in color with yellow or orange wing veins. Both male and females have black triangles running up the bottoms of their abdomen and black top spots on sections eight and nine. I photographed this dragon at Park Point in Duluth back on September 20th.

6 comments:

Colleen said...

Beautiful shot. I can't wait until spring so I can find lovelies like this one to photograph. I'm inspired.

Anonymous said...

There's something special about the pose, the colors and the composition. I'm always delighted when I visit.

Teresa said...

Great Photo. They are so intricate and beautiful up close.

Pamela said...

I saw something of that color when we visited Palm Desert, CA. They were in an oasis. I'd never seen red/orange I had never seen dragon flies of that color before.

I'm so excited to find your bird photos. I am always bird watching and enjoy the photos of fellow bird lovers so much.

Rechie said...

awesome macro shot...i always wanted to take picture of a dragonfly but i never got any chance...they seemed to elusive..

mine is here

Dave said...

Beautiful image - always challenging to get a good dragonfly photograph. This is perfect.