Saturday, September 10, 2011

Flower from Another World?

I am not sure if this is a flower or if it is a seed pod. I photographed it near where the Snake River empties into the St Croix River in Minnesota. It is very unique looking and I thought that it would not be difficult to identify but I have looked in my wildflower books and online and still I am not able to identify it. If you know what type of plant this is I would appreciate it if you would share the identification in the comment section.

11 comments:

Friend of HK said...

Strange flowers indeed.

Kathy J said...

Burr Reed?

Kim W said...

Sparganium species, not sure which.

Carole Barkett said...

oh my, it is really strange

SquirrelQueen said...

I would have to go with a Sparganium species also.

It is quite pretty.

lotusleaf said...

Unusual and pretty.

KaHolly said...

My first guess was a Sparganium species, also. I photographed one a few weeks ago and had the same problem with an i.d. I finally had to call upon my botanist sister, who knew immediately, of course.

Carver said...

Very unusual and interesting flower.

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Excellent and very nice photo of this unusual plant.

Regards and best wishes

Judy said...

Darn, someone has identified it! I thought we could just add it to the list of aliens pretending to be flowers...

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Fascinating flower/pot, so unusual.