Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Quail

Approaching the end of the year Michelle and I both had some vacation time that we had accrued that we had to use otherwise we would lose it. Since we had never taken a vacation at the beginning of November we were not quite sure where to go. We decided to fly down to Colorado. Michelle has some family down there that we planned to stop and visit and then we were going to go to the Great Sand Dunes National Park in CO. and Arches National Park in Utah. Unfortunately a early fall snow storm decided to hit the mountains on one of the days that we were supposed to be traveling to Utah so we changed our plans and skipped Arches and headed down to the Bosque del Apache in Utah instead. I have been to the Bosque on two other occasions but this was the first time that I had been there in November and there was plenty there to see and photograph including several new species to add to my photographic life list.One of the new species was the Gambel's quail. We spotted one on the first day we arrived at the Bosque but unfortunately it flushed before I could get any decent pictures. It wasn't until the morning of the day that we were driving back to Denver to fly home that I had another opportunity and this time I got a few shots. A small flock of the birds were at the feeders by the visitors center when I stopped to pick up some souvenirs for family and friends back home. Most of the flock were down in the brush making it difficult to photograph them but one was in a tree looking like he was standing guard for the rest. The light was not great because I was shooting east into the rising sun but I did take a few shots like the first photo above. I then attempted to move around them so that I would be in a better position in respect to the light. Unfortunately they were quite wary and they flushed but I was able to get one shot with better light before the watch quail took off into the brush, photo two. These birds are common in the southwest United States, especially Arizona and New Mexico, but these were my first photos of these species so I was kind of excited.


14 comments:

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Gambel's quail are one of my favorite birds. We have them here in our neighborhood, but sightings are elusive, let alone trying to take a picture. I love seeing them in a drove. Have you noticed how they 'talk' to each other?

photowannabe said...

Love the quail. I think you got 2 great photos of the elusive bird. Perfect choice for the letter Q.

MaR said...

Cute choice for Q!! love your shots.

Q is for quadruped

??? said...

what a cute bird. I love the striking brown mohawk. I have some quails as well, lacking a quagga.

Roger Owen Green said...

what a nifty shot!
quality!

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Meryl said...

I have never been to the Bosque, but am a fan of Arches National Park. These are great photos and cool information.

Kathy said...

Nice quail shots.

Kay L. Davies said...

I've always loved seeing quail in British Columbia, but it happened so seldom. These are particularly lovely quail and I'm so glad you got a couple of photos of them.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

Greensboro Daily Photo said...

You should be proud of these photos! Love the feather in his cap...... let's call it macaroni!

Laloofah said...

I can imagine it's difficult to get a good photo of a quail, but your patience and diligence sure paid off! You got an exquisite photo of a beautiful bird! I love quails, so gentle and shy.

LeAnn said...

After I posted my picture of my quilt I saw about 20 quail walk across my backyard fence. First my heart was made happy and I could not take my eyes off them, then I grabbed my camera. I got a shot, but not close like yours. I love being able to look at your pictures and get the detail. They are such cute birds and bring me such joy. :)

ChrisJ said...

We used to have a lot of quail around here. Thirty-eight years ago when we first moved here I clearly remember seeing a brood of quail - at least mom and a bunch of little ones, parading through the back yard.

Margaret said...

I can see why you so wanted a photograph of this bird. Very charming and the light is better, of course, in the second, but I love the composition in the first...

Firas said...

For me it looks like you live on a wonderland full of exotic birds! Great shots with even greater details, and well complementing lines!