Saturday, June 29, 2013

Audubon's Yellow-rump Warbler

Audubon's Yellow-rump Warbler
Out of all of the warblers the yellow-rump warbler is usually the first that we see in spring, the last we see in the fall, and the most common warbler during migration. These birds pass through southern Minnesota on their way to northeastern Minnesota and Canada. They usually do not go as far south in the winter because they feed on more berries then most other species of warblers, including bayberries and wax myrtles which other warblers can not digest. Usually the only yellow-rump that I get really exited about is the first one that I see in the spring because it is a portent that other species of warblers will be arriving soon. This yellow-rump was different though. This is a Audubon's yellow-rump instead of the myrtle variety that we see around here. Out west these are probably pretty common but since I have only seen one or two of these before, and never one that was quite so cooperative, I was pretty happy.


6 comments:

Gemma Wiseman said...

A striking gold on this little character! Beautiful little one!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Hi Paul Yes you were very fortunate to have this very pretty bird sit so well for you. Great shot. Margaret

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Fantastic photo!

EG CameraGirl said...

Very cool! I have never seen this variety of yellow-rumped warbler. How lucky you are!

Anni said...

Wow...your yellow rump warbler [I thought I'd better make sure I added warbler to this!] is much more colorful than the ones we have here. What a pretty bird with such vivid colors.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I'm thinking this could have been the bird we saw a few weeks ago in southern Ontario where I live. If I had my camera with me while we were sitting outside, I could have photographed it. My husband described it as a baby oriole as I was going through the bird ID book.
Sometimes I think bloggers offer better photos for ID.