Friday, May 15, 2009

Kestrel Watch

Recently The Raptor Center has started a new program called Kestrel Watch. They are asking people to report sightings of American Kestrels via the Kestrel Watch website which can be accessed from The Raptor Center home page. The reason why they have begun this study is because they have noticed that the number of American kestrels that have been admitted to the clinic has been decreasing each year. The numbers went from107 in 2000 to 22 last year.
Does this mean that the kestrel is in decline and in trouble? It certainly may but they need our help to find out. It would be impossible for a small organization like The Raptor Center to handle such a large study with their limited resources but with our help nothing is impossible. I have already reported one kestrel that I photographed at the North Mississippi Regional Park on April 9th, and will be looking for more while I am out birding. How about you?

3 comments:

Kathie Brown said...

Do you want reports of kestrels from all over the US or just in your state?

2sweetnsaxy said...

I'm not sure I'd know one if I see it but I'll try to keep this photo in mind. Great shot by the way.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I'm so glad I found your blog... such great photos!!! I love MN... lived in Rosemount and Farmington for 6 or 7 years. Great state!!!