Sunday, May 3, 2009

Today's Flowers

If April showers bring May flowers then what do May flowers bring?
The answer is simple it's bees. A few wild flowers have finally begun to bloom here and already you can find bees hard at work collecting nectar and pollen.
I am not sure what type of flower that this is. It was very short to the ground with tubular shaped purple flowers. If you have any idea what type of flower this is please post your ideas down in the comment section. These photos where taken today at the Wood Lake Nature Center.

7 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

Love close-ups of bees and flowers. Bees are fascinating. Great photos! Thank you for sharing.

Regina said...

Nice shots. I haven't done a shot with bees.. not yet.

Anonymous said...

I like your closes ups. It is one of my favorite things to do when the flowers are blooming.

Chris said...

Nice shots. I tend to prefer the second where, I think, that the focus is better. Is that me?
Lovely macro otherwise.

katy said...

If the photos were taken recently, creeping charlie seems likely since it is blooming right now and fits the description: short plant with blue-violet tubular flowers. The photos also show leaves with rounded teeth/scalloped edges. Creeping charlie is a non-native weed common in lawns and wooded areas.

Judy said...

Other name for creeping charlie is ground ivy. I am amazed that you could get so close to the bees! Wonderful photos! Also the raptors and the wood ducks that I have scrolled past!

The Explorer said...

wonderful shot.