Tuesday, May 8, 2012

God Save the Queen

 At first glance this butterfly may look like a monarch butterfly to a casual observer. This is actually a photo of a queen butterfly. The queen butterfly is found in the south United States, Mexico, Central and South America. It is in the same brush-foot family as the monarch, which is common through out most of North America. The queen caterpillar feeds on milkweed just like the monarch so that it to is toxic to most predators that might try and eat it. This photo was taken in the gardens of the Edinburg Scenic Wetland in south Texas.


11 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

You're right, I did take that as a monarch (which, I suppose could be a QUEEN or king)

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Anonymous said...

perfect picture


don quixote limerick

verification makes it really hard to comment. you'd get more comments if you turned it off. i had to do this several times to get it to work.

photowannabe said...

I thought this was a monarch too. Beautiful shot and thanks for the information.

theconstantwalker said...

A wonderful capture.

Anonymous said...

What a spectacular capture! I too, thought it was a monarch at first.

Dave said...

Pretty as a picture - well taken

Caroline Gill said...

Yes, I would have guessed a Monarch (and I suppose a queen is just that!). Wonderful photo.

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Queen or Monarch, they are all royal to me! I love them both.

catsynth said...

Great photo, and thanks for the explanation. I would have guessed monarch at first as well, though the white spots do seem more intense than on the monarchs I see here.

Jessica Cassidy said...

what a beautiful shot of the queen butterfly :-) Dropping by from Camera Critters

Misty DawnS said...

Very beautiful. You're right that I would have confused it for a Monarch!