Friday, November 7, 2008

Father Hennepin Wildlife

Back in August I heard from someone at work about a group of albino deer that were living up at Father Hennepin State Park near Lake Mille Lacs. So on August 31st Michelle and I decided to drive up and take a look and see if we could find any of the deer. Unfortunately it was still in the tourist season so we did not find any of the deer.
But we did find a checkered white butterfly. The checkered white is a pretty common butterfly that can be found in open habitat through out the United States. They usually stay close to the ground, when in flight.
We also found a meadowhawk down on the sand. I believe that this was a female variegated meadowhawk. It is difficult to tell from the pic but the underside of the abdomen appears to be a white or light grey color, which you would find on a variegated. The yellow colored veins on the wings are also a characteristic of the variegated, as well as several other types of meadowhawks.
This little chipmunk was keeping an eye on me as I walked along the trail around the lake. He did not have a lot to worry about since we did not have much luck finding any albino deer, I am sure that all the traffic kept them away, we did not stay long. I plan to return at some point to try again to find one and get a pic but with the deer hunting season starting this weekend these deer will probably be running for their lives, since albino deer are not protected in Minnesota.

6 comments:

Naturegirl said...

Your nature photography as well your SWF image...fantastic! you are gifted!A SWF gal and kover of nature

Anonymous said...

Faboulous!
I'm crazy about butterflys and I had a squirell like that one :)

Rambling Woods said...

Love the photos and I am sorry you didn't find the deer. It seems that it would have a hard time surviving with that coloration

Shelley said...

The albino deer would've been exciting to see but you found some nice alternatives - loved the butterfly!

Leedra said...

Like the chipmunk photo, would have loved to see the deer photos. Maybe next time.

Anonymous said...

I have seen the albino deer in Father Hennepin. It was in 2007 and it was a doe with 2 twin albio fawns. I suspect they can survive in the park because hunting is limited. Love your pictures and comments.