Sunday, November 23, 2008

Today's Flowers: Water Lily

If you have been reading Ecobirder with any regularity you might have noticed that I have been trying out a lot of memes lately. I am doing this for several reasons. First of all memes help to give a blog some more exposure to people who may not know about it. Typically Ecobirder gets between 100 to 150 unique visitors per day. I am pretty happy with that, considering I have only been at it for about one and a half years and I really did not know anything about blogging when I started. But that leaves a lot of people out there who may not even know about my little blog. Memes help people find the blog and hopefully they decide that they like it and come back regularly. Memes also help provide some structure and variety. When I began blogging I would have never thought to take pictures of water or the sky but because of the memes I have explored some new ground which has expended my horizons and hopefully made the blog better.
With that variety in mind I am making my first post for the meme Today's Flowers. I have not really paid a whole lot of attention to flowers and other plant life while I have been out exploring nature. Perhaps participating in this meme will help me to look at flowers differently and have a greater appreciation for them just as I do now with the sky and places of my world. Unfortunately flowers are not the easiest things to photograph in Minnesota during the winter time but I noticed while going through my pics that many shots have flowers in them. Plus there are places that I can go that have flowers inside that I can photograph.
So for my inaugural post in Today's Flowers I give you this water lily that I photographed at the Maplewood Nature Center.

16 comments:

Shelley said...

Your water lily is beautiful!
I have never participated in a meme but am thinking of doing so too- I know there's a whole lot of other great blogs to discover!

Anonymous said...

Very nice captures!

Meire

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Eco: Neat capture of the Water Lily, I took some of this color during the Summer.

♥ Denise BC ♥ said...

Hi, Friend
Welcome to Today's Flowers.
a great start, with a wonderful image. 'm sure like this meme, meet many beautiful flowers from around the world.
I am grateful to share and participate
hugs, TF Team

Anonymous said...

I love both birds and flowers. Welcome to Today's Flowers.
You have posted a very beautiful picture.
Keep up your good work:)
- Cheers from Canada.

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Ecobirder, welcome to Today's Flowers. You have started off with a very beautiful flower. I am also very happy to have discovered your blog through this wonderful meme.

Anonymous said...

Flowers and Birds are beautiful.
Beautiful shots.

Marjukka said...

Water lily is beautiful but I love yours birds photos :)

Mckay K said...

You chose to share a beautiful flower. Flowers are not easy to photograph but I cannot tell by looking at this lovely photo. Great job.

arleena said...

Wonderful water lily.

Naturegirl said...

Love love water lilies! I have photographed so many in my little pond! It is such a JOY when every winter they survive the freeze and blossom once again!
You and are like minded in joining the TF group!
I am so pleased we joined the community of Todays Flowers group!
See you next weekend! NG

Anonymous said...

The water lily is beautiful. The thing about not having flower is the winter is that your imagination can be challenged to start looking for them in less obvious places, like fabric, etched designs, etc. 100-150 visits is great. I'm doing great if I get about 8 without a meme but I appreciate my regular visitors. :-D

Maithri said...

Beautiful photographs!

The lotus (water lily) in many cultures is a sacred symbol...

You have captured its soft grace here in this photograph,

Blessings of peace,

Maithri

Rambling Woods said...

Beautiful flower..I didn't pay that much attention either, but it seems that one interest in nature leads to another and this meme has many nice people...

New Rambling Woods Site

Sandra said...

That's one fantastic picture!

Luiz Santilli Jr said...

Hi Eco

Thanks for posting the first time!
Hope to see you here in TODAY'S FLOWERS every weeks!

Luiz