Sunday, November 2, 2008

A World with out Dragons is almost Upon Us.

This weekend the weather has been very nice hear in southeast Minnesota but unfortunately the birding has not been so great. Even when I was up in two harbors on yesterday I ran into a few birders who were lamenting the quiet fall migration that we have seen so far this year. In the past few months I have supplemented the blog with dragonfly pics when ever the birding was slow. Unfortunately dragons are now in short supply with winter approaching.
Fortunately I still have quit a few posts that I took earlier in the summer with dragons in them so hopefully I will be able to continue to provide some variety even when mother nature seems to be a little short, at least around where I live.
These pictures were taken on my first trip to Maplewood Nature Center back on July 31st. The first two pics are of meadowhawks. Most likely they are white-faced meadowhawks due to the pearly white face.
This other dragon is I believe a red-waisted whiteface. I was not able to get a photo of the face to tell if it was indeed white but because it has a long thin abdomen with white, pruinose, at the base it would only fit either a red-waisted or frosted whiteface in this area. Since there appears to be red on the back then that would eliminate the frosted which leaves only the red-waisted. This was the only probable red-waisted whiteface that I found all summer.

2 comments:

Rose said...

I did not realize till I started blogging just how many different dragonflies there are. These are wonderful images, and I love the title of this post.

Rambling Woods said...

Love the dragons...