Sunday, June 13, 2010

Ebony Jewelwing

Damselflies are typically more difficult to photograph then dragonflies. Because of their small size it is difficult to get a focus on them using a long lens. However getting in close with a macro lens is no easy task either since they will usually fly away when you get that close. Fortunately some of the most spectacular looking damselflies in this area are large enough to photograph just like a dragonfly.
The broad-winged family of dragonflies are typically large and flashy. Most of the broad-winged damsels are found in the tropical areas of the world, with only around ten types found in North America, but we do have four that are found in this area. Two of the four are members of the genus Calopteryx which are more commonly known as jewelwings. The ebony jewelwing is usually found around small to medium size streams. They are a fluorescent blue or green color, depending on the light, with completely black wings. In the two photographs above the top one is a male and the bottom is a female. We can tell because the female has a white pseudostigma, white dot, near the tip of her wings. I photographed these ebony jewelwing where the Sunrise River intersects the Larger St Croix River in Wild River State Park.

11 comments:

Carletta said...

Super shots! Love how you even caught the shadows.

christina, sweden said...

the first one with the light soft background that makes the Jewelwing stand out with its beautiful color is my absolute favourite. And the size of the eyes....

Jama said...

Stunning!

Colleen said...

I just took my first shot of a dragonfly and, on the same day, I attempted to get a pic of a damselfly, but the lens just couldn't find it.

Love your photos!

Kala said...

Lovely details and light in these two images.

Anonymous said...

Lovely!

Jay said...

Beautiful!! Such gorgeous insects, aren't they? And you got such great shots!

I keep meaning to build myself a narrow vivarium to photograph insects in, because I'm sure it's the only way I'll get a good damselfly or dragonfly shot, or anything fast like an ant! We get damsels in the conservatory quite often, but I usually just release them when I catch them.

Hootin Anni said...

Wow....I've never seen on this color before. Amazing.

Duranta Blossom is my macro shot for the week. I hope to see you visit with me if you can. Have a glorious Monday.

Roan said...

I've been trying to get a good shot of a dragonfly and can't. I'm impressed. She's a beauty!

Ramosforest.Environment said...

Beautiful macros.
Luiz Ramos

Ma.links said...

Epic shots.