Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Escargot?

Have you ever eaten snails before? I have not and I do not ever plan to do so. Snail is the generic term for mollusks that have a coiled shell in their adult stage. Snails can be found living on land, in the sea and in freshwater. Since I photographed these in the shallow waters at the Maplewood Nature Center they would fit into the freshwater snail category. I do not know much about snails but from what I have read I would guess that these may be in the Lymnaeidae family, which are a group of small to large sized freshwater snails that are commonly referred to as pond snails.

5 comments:

Susan Ellis said...

Ate escargot in my wilder younger days - basically, a rubbery textured holder for lots of garlic butter. Once I realized what escargot was..as in snail..that was it - step away from the table!

Joanne Olivieri said...

I would never touch it. I'm not that brave, don't really like those critters, though nice shot of them, if you like that sort of thing :D

eileeninmd said...

I couldn't eat them either but, they are interesting critters to see. Great capture!

Misty DawnS said...

Nope. Never eaten them and don't have any plans to!

Anonymous said...

one of my favorite foods. actually it is my favorite food, then shrimp.... mmm escargot and shrimp... ummy