Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Willet

Soon we will be heading over to Yellowstone to commune with nature take a much needed vacation. On our return trip we will probably stop at a park or two in northern Montana and look for shorebirds to photograph. One of the birds that we are likely to see is the willet. Willets breed in wetland habitats in parts of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, California and the Dakotas. You can often see them probing the mud, water and vegetation in search of insects to eat. I photographed this willet down on the Gulf Coast when we visited Texas last year, before the oil spill. Willets migrate south and spend the winter on the South Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf Coasts.

-

10 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

wonderful light in your portrait.

Anonymous said...

Lovely shot! Your mention of the oil spill made me so sad to remember all the sea birds affected.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Nice photo! Have a great WW!

Dimple said...

Interesting, I have learned about a new bird! Thanks!

Michael and Hanne said...

Thanks for the info re Willets. I first saw one in Alberta on a slough, near Calgary.

Joanne Olivieri said...

Such great details in these shots. Well done.

January said...

lovely photo.

Here’s My Watery Wednesday

Naturegirl said...

Your upcoming vacation will surely give you many wonderful photos opps.such as this one! Soon I too will walk the shores and catch a glimpse of shoreline birding!Enjoy your week!

Kay L. Davies said...

I don't know if I've ever even heard of the Willet before. How interesting, and a very nice-looking shorebird. I see, from Wikipedia, it has a "bold underwing pattern" and I'd like to see that. Very interesting. Thanks!
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Ladynred said...

It's beautiful bird. I've never seen one before!