Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Two Bees, or More Then Two Bees

Here are a few more bee pictures to go with the one that I posted early this morning for Wordless Wednesday.
These pics were taken in the Old Cedar Avenue Bridge potion of the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge back in September.
The term bumble bee refers to social bees that are a member of the Bombus genus. There are over 250 different species of bees that are part of that genus living in North America.
Like honey bees, bumble bees help to complete the circle of life by pollinating flowers, while they gather nectar to eat and pollen to feed to their young. They use a long tongue called a glossa to extract the nectar and they gather pollen into their corbiculae, or pollen basket, which is located on their hind leg.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Such gorgeous flowers and bees. I love having bees in my yard. They do so much for my garden.

DeniseinVA said...

Your macro shots are incredible, beautiful. The warmth of them makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, so many really great photographs of the wildlife around you. I have a friend living in Saint Paul, I must ask her if she has seen your blog.