Sunday, January 11, 2009

Today's Flowers: What the Phlox

I took this picture back in June, 2008 at Carlos Avery. I was actually trying go get a shot of the skipper but many of my insect shots also include flowers. It makes sense since pollen and nectar are very important to many different types of insects.
I tried to look up the flower on a Minnesota Wildflower website. While the website was pretty well done, I will probably set up a link for it since I will probably be spending more time there, I did not see anything that was a mach to the flower above. More then likely I could not find it due to my inexperience with the botanical world but hopefully that will change with time.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I cannot place that flower right now although I know I have seen it. It's double the pleasure when you get a butterfly/bee and a flower at the same time, good photo.

Barbara said...

This is a lovely shot. Those flowers look so delicate. Smiles B

Anonymous said...

Whatever that delicate little lavender flower is, it's beautiful. A wonderful photo.

Luiz Santilli Jr said...

Lovely and delicate flower!
Marvelous post!
Thanks for post this beauty!

Luiz

Anonymous said...

Love the skipper in the shot as well!
I also looked on the Montana guide and could not find it.... keep looking.

Adrienne Zwart said...

It looks a bit like phlox to me. Lovely photo!

DrowseyMonkey-Photos said...

Such a pretty photo ... has me dreaming of spring!

Dawn Fine said...

lovely shot..I have to agree with Adrienne ..some type of Phlox

Helen said...

I agree with another commenter it looks like a phlox to me. I made a picture last summer of what looks like the same kind of butterfly. I love butterflies.
PS I have some phlox here that bloom that color in the summer. Helen

Arija said...

That looks like th peennial garden Phlox and could be a wild variety since most garden plants are derived from wild ones. The florets cerainly look Phlox-like.
Nice shot.

Anonymous said...

I think flowers look their best when an insect or bird is harvesting something from them.

Abraham Lincoln's Blog

Anonymous said...

Great shot! Aren't those skippers the cutest little butterflies?
:-)

Lilli & Nevada said...

Beautiful shot

Gemma Wiseman said...

Very pretty delicate flower! Love thecolour! Great shot!

Peggy said...

Funny title! Great shot!

Anonymous said...

That looks like prairie phlox (Phlox pilosa).