Saturday, January 31, 2009

Camera Critters: Eastern Bluebird

There are some birds that are pretty common here in Minnesota during the summertime that people are surprised to see during the winter. The eastern bluebird is a perfect example.
Perhaps people do not expect to see eastern bluebirds in Minnesota during the winter because that is what many of the field guides and experts tell them. Audubon, Sibley and Cornell all do not include Minnesota in the winter range of the eastern bluebird.
Cornell does state that in mild winters eastern bluebirds may be found further north but I do not know of many people who would consider this winter mild, it has been the worse we have seen in many years, and yet I photographed these bluebirds in Redwing, Minnesota on January 5th, 2009.
This is not an isolated incident either. I have participated in Christmas Bird Counts over the past couple of years and pretty much every count that I have worked on in the southeast suburbs of the Twin Cities we have had recorded eastern bluebirds. So I guess it is true that everyone makes mistakes, which is fortunate for those of us living in Minnesota who catch a glimpse of these colorful songbirds during the drab days of winter.

9 comments:

Jennifer-Eighty MPH Mom said...

What a beautiful bird! One of my favorites things to do it watch the birds in our backyard, but I haven't seen one like this!

Please check out my camera critter at:
http://eightymphmom.blogspot.com/2009/01/camera-critters-this-is-fun-head-over_31.html

Anonymous said...

Do you have a long, long lens or are you incredibly blessed to have a nearby tree that bluebirds like to roost? Either way, I'm envious!

Kim said...

One of my favorite birds that I look forward to seeing again this spring. Gorgeous pictures.

Helen said...

I love those little birds. They are my favorite bird. We have some around here. Helen

Janie said...

Beautiful bird, beautiful photos. We have western bluebirds around here, and they're lovely, too.

Adrienne Zwart said...

So beautiful, and such a treat during the winter. I just recently learned that bluebirds will over-winter if their food supply is steady. It's wonderful that you see them so regularly. Great shots! (As are all of your photos...I really enjoy following your blog!)

Anonymous said...

Jeff - I'm not so sure Sibley et al. made a mistake so much as we have better data now.They wrote the book before the Internet/digital cameras - and all the good observations are so easily shared.

Julie said...

What a beautiful little bird. Do you know how they survive the winter without freezing to death? I have always wondered.

Chris said...

Gorgeous pictures! Have I mentioned that I'm insanely jealous of your photography? Thanks for sharing it with us!